- Kimi Räikkönen secures the DHL Fastest Lap in the Austrian GP
- The Ferrari driver set a new lap record at Red Bull Ring
- Daniel Ricciardo and Valtteri Bottas lead the competition for the DHL Fastest Lap Award
Kimi Räikkönen executes the DHL Fastest Lap at Spielberg
Red Bull Racing have done it! Max Verstappen secured the Bulls’ first home victory in the Austrian Grand Prix at Spielberg. In an exciting race packed with incident, Verstappen kept his nerve and secured a famous victory in front of the thousands of fans, who had travelled to the circuit from the Netherlands.
"I’m so happy to win at the Red Bull Ring, and with so many Dutch fans here. It was also so unexpected, and that makes it even better. An amazing weekend", Verstappen said. "If you want to win a race this is the perfect place, in a Red Bull car at the Red Bull Ring."
Verstappen finished 1.5 seconds up on Kimi Räikkönen, who was indeed managing to successfully reel in Red Bull’s driver during the final stages of the race but was unable to get close enough to launch an attack. On the 71st and final lap, Räikkönen burned the DHL Fastest Lap time of 1:06.957 into the asphalt, setting a new lap record for the Red Bull Ring.
"We were obviously hoping to catch Max, but by then it was perhaps a bit too late", Räikkönen said. "Today we had the speed, but there just weren't enough laps left in the race... Of course we wanted to win, we tried very hard, giving our best, but it was not enough. The good thing is that, as a team, we did a solid job. It was a strong weekend."
Räikkönen’s teammate, Sebastian Vettel, posted the second-fastest lap at Spielberg (1:07.082), followed by Lewis Hamilton (1:07.082), who failed to take the checkered flag because of a technical problem. Vettel finished third and is now only one point behind Hamilton in the World Championship classification.
Fastest laps: FORMULA 1 EYETIME GRAND PRIX OF AUSTRIA 2018
- Kimi Räikkönen (Ferrari) 1:06.957- on Lap 71
- Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) 1:07.082- on Lap 67
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 1:07.241- on Lap 58
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull) 1:07.442- on Lap 70
- Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) 1:07.591- on Lap 46
- Marcus Ericsson (Sauber) 1:08.216- on Lap 67
- Kevin Magnussen (Haas) 1:08.476- on Lap 70
- Sergio Pérez (Force India) 1:08.504- on Lap 66
- Fernando Alonso (McLaren) 1:08.661- on Lap 69
- Carlos Sainz (Renault) 1:08.766 - on Lap 39
History: Fastest laps in the FORMULA 1 AUSTRIAN GRAND PRIX
Kimi Räikkönen set a new lap record for the Red Bull Ring with his DHL Fastest Lap of 1:06.957. The previous best time of 1:07.411 was posted by Lewis Hamilton in 2017.
This is Räikkönen’s first DHL Fastest Lap of the current season and the 46th of his career to date. It puts him in second place on the list of fastest lap high achievers behind Michael Schumacher (77).
Bottas und Ricciardo lead the competition for the DHL Fastest Lap Award
With three best times each, Valtteri Bottas and Daniel Ricciardo share the lead in the overall standings of the DHL Fastest Lap Award. Max Verstappen has twice been the fastest man in the race. Räikkönen is now the fourth driver to add his name to the rankings.